Monday, November 9, 2009

North Douglas Chocolate Cake


This recipe is kidnapped from The Fiddlehead Cookbook which was a staple in most of the kitchens of my childhood.  Unfortunately The Fiddlehead restaurant is no longer around- but this chocolate cake (and their French onion soup) were, to me, the two things that mattered the most.  I had to dig around online to find this recipe, since I don't own the book (AHEM HINT HINT), but now that I have it I think that it needs to be shared.  It doesn't look like anything all too special- but I have always thought of it as the most perfect chocolate cake that there could possibly be.  And knowing that Alaskans have been making it for years should be assurance enough.  Plus, hello- it's named after Douglas Island.  You can't beat that.




North Douglas Chocolate Cake


Cake
1 cup water
1/4 pound butter
1/2 cup safflower or corn oil
3 1/2 tablespoons sifted Dutch process dark cocoa
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 

Icing
1/4 pound plus 4 tablespoons butter
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 cup sifted Dutch process dark cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 375 F and arrange racks so they are evenly spaced in oven. Generously coat two 8- or 9-inch cake pans with butter and dust with flour.
Combine water, butter, oil and cocoa in a small pan and bring to a boil. While butter and water are reaching a boil, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside.
When butter and water are boiling, pour over sifted flour. Stir just until combined. Add egg mixture and gently fold together. Pour into prepared cake pans.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven when a probe inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Allow to rest briefly in pans, and then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
To prepare icing: In a medium bowl, beat butter until smooth. Add confectioners sugar and cocoa and stir gently until they are partially combined. Stir in milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and spreadable. It may be necessary to add additional sifted confectioners sugar if mixture seems too soft.
Assemble cake as usual. Decorate as you wish. Chill cake briefly to firm icing.


-------------------

What are your childhood-era foods that still feel just as special now?

9 comments:

Becca said...

I love that cookbook! Hannah got it for me last year and sometimes I just want to snuggle it at night. David's mom told me to try to ginger crinkles and I'm going to have to do that ASAP.

So yeah. This cake is the most amazing thing ever ever ever.

Becca said...

Also, my favorite childhood foods are things like siapao and my dad's caesar salad. I've never attempted to make siapao, but now I think I might. The salad is just too special though. I can make caesar salad, but it's just not the same.

Girdgirl said...

The Ginger Crinkles are my other favorite recipe from that book. They are soooo yummy. I always take them out of the oven slightly early, then let them sit a bit. That way they're perfectly bendable!

Margie said...

Awesome Renai. At work and needed this recipe and I found your site with a google search! Thanks! Making this tonight for a choco-holic for tomorrow night!

Margie said...

Didn't get this made the other night, but just made it. Mis-read the amount of buttermilk as 1&1/2 cups! Baked it anyway. Looks a bit heavy -- think it must be gooey inside!

Renai said...

Oooh Margie! I bet it'll be good and fudgey though!

Sarah Alli said...

Fiddlehead is the best- I remember their huge cookies. Have you been to the place that's in that building now? It's really good for breakfast.

nikoleni said...

I'm so glad I could find this recipe online! It's the absolute best chocolate cake ever. My mom was a chef at the Fiddlehead when I was growing up, so I definitely have a soft spot for it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

After seeing a facebook discussion I was having with another Juneauite about Fiddlehead and the North Douglas Chocolate Cake, my Minnesota sister surprised me with the cookbook. Loved everything in that restaurant, but especially the cookies and this cake. I've made the reality cookies a few times, and will make this cake this week for my birthday. Can't wait!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...