- Earlier this week I made a soup that was a combination of Chicken Soup with Jasmine Rice and Ginger from Serious Eats, and Miso Soup with Rice & A Poached Egg from The Kitchn. Mine was a miso broth with garlic and ginger, served over rice and topped with a poached egg and some leftover sockeye salmon. Served with a huge salad- it was perfect.
- When I did a cleanse last year- almond butter was one of my staples. To be honest- I really don't like the stuff available commercaially- but this simple recipe for Homemade Maple Almond Butter from Food In Jars is another beast entirely.
- Perfect Little Ginger Cakes from Tales of a Food Forager are just that. Perfect. While theirs is a recipe made for the summer months- the lightness of them makes it ideal for simplified eating. I love ginger sweets, but right now the last thing I want is a dense molasses cake. These are made with honey and fresh ginger and would serve up beautifully with frozen summer berries or jam. Scroll down about halfway for the recipe.
- While these Individual Buttermilk Spoonbreads from Herbivoracious sound quite rich on their own- I can't imagine a more perfect compliment to a pot of simple vegetarian chili.
- If you're still craving homebaked sweets, but don't have the energy to venture into the kitchen (it also helps if you live in Seattle)- There is always The Piecycle. Via Go Means Go:
"It’s simple. You text your order to 425.923.6655 and it gets delivered to your door Friday and Saturday from 6pm-3am. It doesn’t cost much, especially when you consider that these are homemade pies. $3 gets you a slice or $20 buys you a whole pie."