Monday, February 15, 2010

Dinner for One

 

Sometimes my absolute favorite type of cooking- is the kind that I do for just myself.  The nights where Matao is at work- usually after a good workout- when I have plans with the couch, the cat(s), and a book (and/or Netflix).  The nights where I don't feel like washing dishes, or making sure my meal is balanced or diverse.

 

During the winter months- my go-to dish is almost always oatmeal.  Not the sticky, gluey, mushy kind that comes from a packet or a tub (sorry Quaker), but instead the chewy, toothsome type that comes from bulk bins and occasionally Bob's Red Mill packages.  The kind that is specifically listed as "thick".  I like to cook mine in half milk, half water, with a big glob of brown sugar- topped off with flax seeds, walnuts, dried cranberries, and a dollop of cream.  This is the kind of oatmeal that could make any oatmeal hater change their ways (ahem Amy!)

Cooking for yourself only is an entirely different experience than cooking for someone else.  You don't have to take into consideration anyone's tastes or preferences.  You can use the ingredients that only you love, and cook your food exactly the way that you want it.  I tend to eat much more slowly, and with more awareness of my food when I'm by myself, even when I've prepared an incredibly simple or thoughtless dish.


Some of my other favorite meals to cook for myself are Annies Shells & White Cheddar with diced fresh tomatoes and garlic, hard cooked eggs mashed up with a little mayo and black pepper, and simple multi-grain toast with peanut butter and homemade jam.  None of these are anything that I would plop down in front of Matao, and expect something other than an "are you serious?" type of reaction.  Not because he's demanding or finicky- but simply because I never cook this way for anyone else.

What are your favorite meals to cook and eat on your own?

5 comments:

N Germain said...

My favorate alone meal is a bag of good tortilla chips and a bowl of fresh salsa. Adding cheese to the chips would be getting fancy!

Girdgirl said...

Well, considering Stretch is gone for 4 weeks at a time, I do a lot of cooking for myself. Occasionally on weekends I'll spoil myself with French Toast, made from a very thick and nutty whole grain bread, with warm maple syrup. Yumm Weeknights I'm happiest with anything I made a big batch of over the weekend so I've got food ready to go for the week. My favorite last week was a hot bowl of a root veggie stew. It was especially good the first night since I'd chopped and tossed everything into a big crockpot before I left the house in the morning. Mmm so good to come home to a hot meal ready to eat.

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I'm not a big oatmeal fan but this looks fantastic.

Karla said...

bowl of microwaved black refried beans (preferably with red jalapenos or some such chili thing), spoon of salsa, spoon of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, nooch, Sriracha or Chalula, avocado if i have it, and tortilla chips. it's a quick meal (though i hate dealing w/the other half can of refried beans, almost as annoying as cleaning out empty peanut butter containers.)

also, toasted english muff with Vegenaise, heated Tofurkey Smoked turkey slices and a Tofutti American style cheese slice. Sometimes with sandwich pepper rings or some sauerkraut. definitely, not the healthiest of meals!

Amy Marie said...

when i come visit you will have to make me some oatmeal & we'll see if you can make a believer out of me. but i'm telling you, it's the texture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...