Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Brown Sugar Lemonade with Sea Salt and Mint

Can I call this a recipe?  Yeah?  Alright.  Let's do this.


(Note- The mixture in the jar is just the lemon/sugar/salt without any water added.  I brought it to a dinner with my lovely friends Ellie & Larissa and we mixed it up there.  Also- isn't my hula hoop lovely?)

My favorite favorite favorite summer treat growing up was my moms homemade lemonade.  We started experimenting with it more as I got older and had to have input on everything we made together.  I remember one summer making a beautiful thick almost syrup-like juice out of the cherries we'd bought at Costco, of all places- we added it to our batch of lemonade and I swear we both almost died of a delicious sugar overdose right then and there.

This is not that recipe.  Mostly because there were no cherries in my fridge at the time that I made it.  This recipe is absolutely wonderful, regardless, and easier to boot.

Ingredients:
- Enough lemons to make 1 cup of juice (don't buy the bottled stuff- please oh please oh please).
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 large sprigs of fresh mint
- Water
- Ice

Directions:
- Juice lemons, straining out seeds and pulp.  This little thing is fantastic.
- Heat lemon juice, brown sugar, and salt over medium high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture just begins to boil- remove from heat and let cool.
- Add mixture to a 2 liter pitcher and fill to the top with cold water and ice.
- Crush mint leaves and add whole sprigs to pitcher before serving.
 - Feel free to add boozy beverage of choice!

4 comments:

Ellie said...

i'm famous, i'm famous! i made the blog!

Ellie said...

i'm famous, i'm famous! i made the blog!

frockandrollonline.com said...

Yum! It all looks DELICIOUS!

becca said...

i saw that hula hoop! lookin' good. we should dust those things off and play, for old time's sake...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...