Sunday, August 14, 2011

Vegan & Gluten Free Coconut Cupcakes


I normally wouldn't ever post a recipe without including a picture of the actual said item, but I'm still in a bit of a battle with the lighting in my apartment. If I posted any of the pictures I took you probably wouldn't want to make these. I sure as hell wouldn't.

Despite their lack of a decent photo- these cupcakes are unbelievably light and tender, and not even just for a gluten free baked good. Admittedly- there are a lot of leavening agents going on here, but they work really well with Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour which has become my go-to for much of my GF baking. These can easily be made with standard AP flour as well- just omit the xanthan gum.

Ingredients:
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour or flour of choice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. xanthan gum (omit if not using GF flour)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 14oz can unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce, smashed banana, or yogurt (vegan or non is fine)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flake coconut, plus extra for topping cupcakes

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a large bowl sift together dry ingredients including sugar, and set aside. Combine coconut milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Create a well in your dry ingredients, then pour in wet ingredients. Fold together gently, being sure not to over mix (gluten free flours aren't really an issue with this- but it's a good practice regardless). While batter is still lumpy- gently fold in coconut flakes. Spoon batter into liners, top with additional coconut, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before eating- and feel free to top with powdered sugar or frosting of your choice if you'd like them a little more sweet. Makes 1 dozen.

2 comments:

lars said...

did you save me one? i will help you retool your headset for a cupcake. i'm going to do some more bicycle things tomorrow!

Rosita said...

Hello, I was doing a Google search on vegan cupcakes with coconut flakes and came across your blog. Just wondering whether you have any photos of this recipe yet? Also, how is the texture of this cupcake? Is it light and fluffy like store bought cupcakes? Whenever I attempt to bake cupcakes, they turn out much denser... more muffin-like and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! Also, do you use a mixer? I don't know whether I should invest in one...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...