Friday, July 24, 2009

Chick-Chick-Chick-Adee

My bff Mant Jerkson (known by most as Mike) is house sitting for a couple who has both a kick ass garden, as well as CHICKENS! They have four laying hens, and I fell terribly in love with Inky, the slowest of them (easier to catch!) last night. The other three would let me stand close-by, but the second I would even so much as creep towards one of them, they'd be off clucking in the other direction.

Oh, chickens. The things you do to me.

We went over to steal some veggies and eggs since Mant is leaving for the weekend, and also because I am greedy. Dinner last night absolutely ruled. We threw together a few things we'd just picked, with some goodies from our CSA and some fresh cheese, prawns, and steak from Whole Foods.


Manty + Inky



Me + Inky. Looking all gothed out.



Squash, onions, and a pumpkin! The chickens had scratched up quite a few smaller onions, so we took a bunch of them home.


Bees! It took me far too long to catch on to what this was. This discovery more or less put me over the top with my love for this house and yard. Please give me your life. Thanks.



Our haul- on my lap in the car. It's hard to tell in the photos, but the "white" eggs were actually a very light blue. So cool.


Kale from our CSA box- about to be wilted. Nevermind my disgusting dirty stove. Yeesh.


Eggs, onions, heirloom tomatoes (we bought these), and fresh picked basil! Perfect.

I wasn't able to get a decent picture of dinner last night, but it was delicious. Previously mentioned wilted kale with caramelized onions and garlic, Insalata Caprese made with heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh picked basil, and grilled wild prawns and flank steak for Matao.

I want to eat like this forever.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

KALE!
CHICKENS!
BEEEEEES!

There is so much excitement I love in this post!

Anonymous said...

I'm scared to pick up a chicken lol.
But i'm wondering what caramelized onions taste like. *ponders*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...