Sunday, March 1, 2009

Vegan Ice Cream!

When I saw this recipe last week: I nearly died.

I recently acquired an ice cream maker, but hadn't yet felt inspired enough to attempt to make vegan ice cream. I've only once had vegan ice cream that I actually liked, and even then it was too sweet and the texture was off. I am so over soy at this point in time (other than tofu, I love you sweet darling!)

The cool thing about making ice cream- is that you don't really even need an ice cream maker. I initially used mine for this, but in the end it just wasn't frozen enough for me- so I threw my mixture into a tupperware and froze it overnight. The next day I dumped it into my food processor with the metal blade attachment and blended it with mini chocolate chips thrown in. Oh, sweet heaven.

I could not have asked for this to have turned out better. If I make this same recipe again I'll probably tone down the sweetness, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Here's my version of the recipe, which doesn't require an ice cream maker, and cuts back a bit on sugar.



Coconut Milk Mint Chip Ice Cream

1 package mint leaves and stems (produce section!)
3 cans coconut milk, NOT lite
1/2 cup agave nectar- can also use granulated sugar
1 avocado (adds color and fat–will not noticeably affect the flavor of the final product)
1/2 c. chocolate chips or cocoa nibs or other desired add-in (optional)

Wash mint leaves and stems thoroughly.

Heat coconut milk and agave syrup on medium heat until the mixture just starts to bubble (not boil). Add the mint leaves/stems, cover, and turn heat to low. After 10 minutes, turn off the heat, and allow the mint leaves to steep an additional 50 minutes, covered, at room temperature.

Strain out the mint leaves by pouring the mixture through a mesh strainer, pressing the leaves against the strainer to extract all of the mint flavor you can from the leaves. Discard the leaves and stems.

Mash up the avocado and add it to the mixture.

Once everything is combined, pour into freezable contains and freeze overnight (or 8 hours)

Dump frozen contents into your food processor with chocolate or other add-ins and process until desired consistency is reached. Serve as-is, and refreeze leftovers.



---------------

Next on my list to mess with: strawberry, lavender, dulce de leche, dark chocolate, coconut, and ten million other things that I can't think of right now. OH- "butter" pecan. We'll see about that one. Earth Balance pecan just doesn't sound all that special.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...